avoidance n : deliberately avoiding; keeping away from or preventing from happening [syn: turning away, shunning, dodging]
- The act of annulling; annulment.
- The act of becoming vacant, or the state of being vacant; – specifically used for the state of a benefice becoming void by the death, deprivation, or resignation of the incumbent.
- A dismissing or a quitting; removal; withdrawal.
- The act of avoiding or shunning; keeping clear of.
- The courts by which anything is carried off.
Avoidance may refer to
Encratism, Friday, Lenten fare, Pythagoreanism, Pythagorism, Rechabitism, Shakerism, Spartan fare, Stoicism, abstainment, abstemiousness, abstention, abstinence, asceticism, banyan day, celibacy, chastity, continence, cringe, dodge, duck, elusion, eschewal, evasion, fallback, fast, fish day, flinch, fruitarianism, gymnosophy, nephalism, plain living, pullback, pullout, recoil, refraining, refrainment, retreat, runaround, sexual abstinence, shunning, shy, sidestep, sidestepping, simple diet, spare diet, teetotalism, the pledge, total abstinence, vegetarianism, wince